Hey girl! I’d love to see you do a piece on what you consider to be wardrobe essentials/staples, and where we can find them (possibly at an affordable price?) I’m a uni student so I need my purchases to last years, not just one season!
I have been asked this a lot lately, so thank you for your beautiful question! Below is my current list of wardrobe essentials that are both affordable, and super stylish. I have just graduated from University and was a uni student for 4 years, so I know that at times the bank account can be quite low.
In saying this though, I am definitely one to invest in quality pieces that may cost a little more, but will last me seasons to come. I find this a much better way to save money in the long run, as it is too easy to purchase an item that is super cheap, yet after 3 washes it has faded, shrunk, or lost its shape. When purchasing essentials, it IS essential, to ensure that you’re spending your hard earned cash on something that is worthwhile, and worth your money.
Below is my list of wardrobe essentials that wont go out of style- ever! Purchase these, and you’ll have a tip top wardrobe for life!
1. Denim. I cannot stress enough how important it is to own quality denim pieces. Whether its in the form of shorts, jeans or a skirt, if you own a good pair, they will always be your go-to. My favourite denim brands include: Sass and Bide, J Brand, Levis, and Nobody Denim. Depending on your price range, Zara and Witchery also have some excellent denim varieties.
2. Black Blazer. A must have for all seasons, and I mean it! A black blazer will take you from day to night, and it will take you wherever you want to go. It can dress an outfit up or down, and is extremely versatile. Make sure yours fits you well though. Theres nothing worse then a blazer that isn’t tailored correctly. Not sure what style you’re after? Topshop and Asos have you covered. A variety of styles, each with affordable prices.
3. White shirt. A crisp, white shirt is all you need to brighten up your wardrobe. Again, this is an item of clothing that can be worn both day and night, and dressed up or down. I head to Witchery or Hope for my white shirts.
4. Striped shirt. The breton striped shirt is all you need for a casual, cool look. This is certainly a wardrobe staple because it is not only a chic shirt, but one that can be worn throughout all 4 seasons! Depending on your budget, Bassike or Sportsgirl are your go-to’s for purchasing one of these bad boys.
5. White tee. No fashionista can get through life without owning a white tee (or at least 5). I tend to go for ones with a more rounded neckline, but it all depends on the size of your bust. If you’ve got them, then flaunt a v-neck style which will add shape to your bust. If you’re like me and lacking in that department; then the round neck style is the way to go.
6. Black long-sleeved shirt. Something you wouldn’t expect to be a wardrobe staple, but I definitely think we all need to own one! This style of shirt, being black, goes with absolutely anything. Wearing one with longer sleeves adds a some structure and coverage to an outfit, and can also be worn during autumn/winter. I love pairing mine with a leather mini skirt or even with black denim jeans.
7. Leather skirt. A staple that can make your look a little more sexy. The leather skirt is my go-to for a sophisticated evening out, or an autumn day when I want to have a little more edge. I recently purchased one from Witchery, that has some incredible pleating, but high street stores such as Zara and Topshop have some beautiful varieties also. A skirt that will forever be in fashion.
8. Black flats. A pair of black (quality) ballet flats will see you through years and years of walking to come. Make sure that you purchase a quality pair, not only so that they will last, but also so your beautiful feet are comfortable and feel stable! There’s nothing worse than opting to wear flats for the day, only to have to sorest of feet after 10 minutes! I always purchase my pairs from Trenery or Country Road. Affordable, yet comfortable.
9. Black heels. If you don’t own a pair of black heels I suggest that you purchase yourself 2 pairs right this second! I say purchase 2 pairs, not because I’m greedy, but because I feel that every woman should own one plain pair, and one detailed pair. This is so you have options, and aren’t always opting for the same pair all the time.
10. Fur. Whether it be a jacket, vest or even fur hat, every woman needs some fur in their life. (Faux fur of course!) Most high street retailers will have gorgeous fur styles for the autumn/winter season. Check out Seed or my all time favourite- Topshop, for some cute styles and variations of the trend.
So there you have it, my Top 10 wardrobe essentials/staples. Feel free to comment below if you have your own essentials to add to the list. Tag @AStylishMoment or #AStylishMoment on Instagram!