Last weekend I attended the Canberra Centre VIP Beauty Masterclass where Eleanor Pendleton, Australian multi-award winning beauty editor and creative mastermind behind Gritty Pretty shared her expert advice on current AW16 trends for Canberra’s cooler weather, as well as some of her own beauty secrets.
One particular piece of information that she shared was about how important it is to use sunscreen Every.Single.Day.
Eleanor explained that there are two types of UV rays that the sun produces; UVA and UVB. UVB is the one that burns you, and UVA is the one that ages you.
Although I knew that wearing sunscreen in summer was important, what I didn’t know was that you could still be affected by UVA on days when its cloudy, raining or even hailing. This is why it’s suuuuper important to wear SPF 50+ sunscreen each and every day, and to make it part of your daily makeup routine.
I was inspired post this beauty masterclass to devote a little more of my time to learning about the world of beauty, and how little adjustments to my beauty and makeup routine can really change and enhance my face and body.
Being a BIG reader of magazines, I often feel overwhelmed by all of the information that is fed to me whilst flicking through my favourite mags.
One second a beauty editor is telling me to use a foundation brush instead of a sponge to apply my makeup, and another is telling me to use my fingers. OR, they are are telling me to apply concealer before foundation, or vice versa – I seriously can’t keep up.
What I do know is that these particular tips are ones that I needed to work out for myself, as everyone’s skin and reaction to beauty and makeup products is different.
What I have also found is that there are some very interesting and intriguing beauty hacks and tricks out there that I have actually found to be life changing!
These are tried and tested and 100% loved by me!
1. We all love concealer don’t we? It conceals those dark circles and spots that seem to come along when we least expect them to. What I have found is that the most flattering way to apply concealer is to draw a triangle with the concealer (I use the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat) under your eye, and to aim the point of the triangle towards the cheek. This instantly creates some light and shape to your face, and will make it appear lifted by shining the light right underneath your eye.
2. I love to wear white, but the majority of the time when I do I end up with a foundation stain somewhere on the garment. I have found that the best way to remove these foundation stains is by wiping a small amount of shaving cream on the spot to pre-treat it before popping it in the wash. Using this shaving cream before washing means that the shirt will come out crystal clean with not a foundation stain in sight!
3. Sometimes if I have had a late night I’ll wake up with puffiness under my eyes. I have found that the best way to decrease this puffiness, and to make me appear more presentable for my day ahead; is to apply a cold green-tea bag under each eye for about five to 8 minutes. This delicate section under your eye will feel rejuvenated and the puffiness will be gone.
4. To make my perfume scent last longer, I’ll apply Vaseline to the perfume pulse points before spraying. This will hold the fragrance on your skin for longer.
5. Facemasks are great, but sometimes I’ll forget to stock up on them when I’m visiting Sephora or my local Priceline. So, for a quick and easy-to-make overnight face mask, I like to use 1 tablespoon of coconut oil mixed with 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. Both of these products create a great mixture and paste that feels incredible on the skin. Leave it on overnight to get the full benefits, and then wash off with lukewarm water in the morning.
6. Two words. Dry Shampoo. Great for when you don’t have time to wash your hair, or if you’re looking to add some texture and volume to your daily look.
7. There is nothing better than a warm bath after a long day in the office. A great at-home bathtub detox mix that I like to make includes a handful of Epsom salts, 5-10 drops of lavender oil and ½ cup of baking soda. Soak your body in this for 20 minutes to detoxify and balance your body’s PH levels.
Do any of these sound similar to tricks you have already been using? What’s your favourite?
Images courtesy of Pinterest.